Green Bay Fire Department – Holiday Wreath Program Wraps Up With Record Low Number of Fires

From:  Green Bay Metro Fire Department Public Information Officer Lt. Nick Craig

 

Green Bay, WI, January 4, 2016—The Green Bay Metro Fire Department has concluded the Holiday Wreath Program with a total of 5 residential home fires from November 26th, 2015 thru January 1st, 2016. Three of the 5 fires were caused by unattended cooking. One fire was caused by a dehumidifier and the other one is still under investigation. This is the lowest number that we have ever recorded since the programs beginnings over 10 years ago. In 2014 we ended with 13 bulbs, 2013 ended with 17, and 2012 had 14 just to name a few.

 

Cooking appliances, most commonly a stove or range, are the leading cause of home fires in the United States. Not surprisingly, they also rank number 1 for fire related injuries in the home.

 

Almost all cooking fires could be prevented if you follow some simple safety tips;

 

Stay in the kitchen while you’re cooking

 

If you have to walk away from the stove to answer the door, for example, turn the burners on low or preferably off and throw a towel over your shoulder as a reminder that you are cooking.

 

Having a working smoke alarm will help to ensure that in the event that a fire does start, you will have plenty of time to take action.

 

If a grease fire should happen to start on the stove, turn the burner off and place a lid or cookie sheet over the burning pan. DO NOT move the pan.

 

Winter months are especially dangerous for fires in our climate. Tips are as follows;

 

Have your furnace inspected by a licensed technician annually. He or she will make sure that your furnace is running efficiently and check it out for damage and leaks which could lead to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

 

Have your fireplace chimney inspected on a yearly basis. Soot buildup can easily cause a chimney fire. A “chimney sweeping log” does not remove soot or creosote from a chimney.

 

Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer. Place a CO detector in your home to warn you of a heating appliance malfunction.

 

Ensure that you have a working smoke detector on each level of your home.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s