Crews were fighting a fire at the Marathon County Landfill in the Town of Ringle Sunday Early Evening. They were actively fighting a fire in the landfill itself.
Wittenburg, City of Wausau Tender (Tanker), Birnamwood, Maine, Edgar, Kronenwettter, Ringle, Easton, SAFER and Hatley fire departments responded to the call. Salvation Army was also on scene assisting with Water for the emergency personnel.
Chris Kielman Ringle Fire Chief tells reporters the fire department has responded multiple times to the landfill nothing recently. Chief Kielman says when units arrived on scene the fire was approx. 100 x 100. No injuries were reported. Chief Kielman says crews will be on scene for several more hours making sure of no flair ups.
Marathon County Solid Waste Department Director Meleesa Johnson says No cause will be determined speculation is Hot Coals from the grill or Cell Phone Batteries, Johnson says just because your phone battery is not able to power your cell phones but “JUICE” is still enough to get HOT from the sun and start a fire. Johnson has her crews spreading trash away as fire fighters spray the area down with water. Johnson says no equipment was damaged. Lastly Johnson wants to Thank Everyone Who called into report the smoke because with out them it could have been a lot worse not only to the landfill but the neighboring area.
PHOTO’S FROM THE SCENE: