Written & Photo’s By: Wayne Gauger
A family was out tubing A young boy inner-tubing behind the boat went under the water and that prompted the sister and man, who is their step-father to try to find him in the water. The man was able to get the boy back in the boat, but he then went under. The kids and their mother along with two dogs made it back to shore. First responders were paged to the river near Memorial Park in Wausau around 2 p.m. Thursday. Marathon County Dive Team was also brought in. current wind conditions are making it dangerous for the search. It’s challenging for the dive team under the water, but they are using sonar equipment. A helicopter was paged at the beginning of the search, but was called off due to windy conditions, it is also why a drone was not used in the search. The Seatch was called off at 9:15PM Thursday. Search crews will be back out Friday morning at 7AM. WGWI-PUBLICATIONS will follow this situation and bring you any updates on our Facebook Page Search WGWI-PUBLICATIONS.
From: Green Bay Metro Fire Department Lt. Cody Johnson
On Independence Day in a typical year, more U.S. fires are reported than on any other day, and fireworks account for half of those fires, more than any other cause of fires. The Green Bay Metro Fire Department responds to several fires started by fireworks every year. In 2014, U.S. hospital emergency rooms treated an estimated 10,500 people for fireworks related injuries! Source: Consumer Product Safety Commission report by Yongling Tu and Demar Granados In 2013 an estimated 15,600 reported fires including 1,400 structure fires and 200 vehicle fires are reported. Source: NFPA’s Fireworks report by Marty Ahrens, June 2016 The current law allows individuals to possess sparklers, snakes, smoke bombs, noisemakers, and spark fountains. These are the only legal fireworks to possess and use without a permit. Firecrackers, bottle rockets, roman candles, and mortars, are illegal to possess and use without a permit and may result in a citation. A permit may be obtained from your local jurisdiction, though most have very strict guidelines and onlya handful are awarded. Only permits issued by the local jurisdiction and signed by the proper designee (mayor, fire chief, etc) are legal. Permits issued by a fireworks stand are not valid. Safety tips for celebrating with legal fireworks: Adults should only light fireworks. Sparklers can reach temperatures of over 1200 degrees so make sure your child is old enough to understand the danger of using them improperly. Children should always be supervised when using sparklers. Most fireworks injuries happen to children under the age of 5 years old. 5 years old is often too young to use sparklers. Never relight dud fireworks. Stay clear of them for at least 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water overnight before disposing. Make sure you light fireworks on a dry level surface (concrete) with no combustibles nearby. Maintain a safe distance. Avoid alcohol use while using fireworks.The best way to keep safe this 4th of July is to leave the fireworks to the professionals. Enjoy your local fireworks show put on by your town, city, or village.
From: Laurel Patrick
Governor Scott Walker Signs Senate Bill 293 Into Law
Green Bay – Governor Scott Walker signed Senate Bill 293 into law today at the Bellin Psychiatric Center in Green Bay. Senate Bill 293 works to improve mental health service delivery in Wisconsin by giving health care providers tools to allow for greater coordination of care, greater access to care, and more efficient health care delivery for those suffering from mental illness.
“The legislation we’re signing today improves the delivery of mental health services to Wisconsin patients, with the potential to reduce our state’s costs in the Medicaid program,” Governor Walker said. “Treating mental and physical health together is of great importance for Wisconsin citizens. We want to break the stigma associated with mental health issues and assist people in getting the care they need by continuing to invest in resources which support a healthier and more prosperous Wisconsin.”
Senate Bill 293 – establishes the Behavioral Health Care Coordination Pilot program, the Medicaid Psychiatric Consultation Reimbursement Pilot program, as well as a mental health bed tracker program. The Behavioral Health Care Coordination Pilot program tests alternative, coordinated care delivery and Medicaid payment models designed to reduce costs and improve care for Medicaid recipients who have significant or chronic mental illness. The Medicaid Psychiatric Consultation Reimbursement Pilot program will test a new payment model to encourage psychiatrists to provide consultation to primary care providers treating a small population of Medicaid adults with mild to moderate mental health needs. Senate Bill 293 also establishes an online bed tracking system, which shows the number of available child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric inpatient psychiatric beds throughout the state. The system will be available to any hospital emergency department in Wisconsin. Authored by Senator Leah Vukmir (R – Brookfield), Senator Janet Bewley (D – Mason), Representative Mary Czaja (R – Irma), and Representative Debra Kolste (D – Janesville), the bill passed the Senate with a vote of 30-0 and was concurred by the Assembly with a vote of 98-0. It is Act 153.
From: Jonah Hermann, Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters
Wisconsin Students Award Ron Johnson a Failing Grade,
Announce Delegation Scores from LCV’s 2015 National Environmental Scorecard
Full scorecard available in English and Spanish here.
GREEN BAY, WI — Today, students from University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, St. Norbert College, Green Bay area educators, and other community leaders unveiled League of Conservation Voters’ 2015 Environmental Scorecard at a rally outside the Brown County Courthouse. This year, more votes than ever were tracked, revealing that the 114th congress has unleashed more attacks on our natural resources than any other year in our history.
UW-Green Bay student, Lorissa Banuelos, said “As a leader of UW-Green Bay’s student environmental group, I know the importance of conserving our air, land, and water for the next generation. When I talk to my peers, they agree, and together we are doing our part in our community to ensure Wisconsin remains safe and beautiful for our children. I am disappointed to see Ron Johnson’s grade so out of touch with reality.”
Scores are given to every member of the U.S. House and Senate. In Wisconsin, the most notable score was Senator Ron Johnson, who received a zero, bringing his lifetime environmental score to just four percent.
Maggie McConnaha a St. Norbert student, criticized Johnson, saying “Today, I join with my fellow students in giving Ron Johnson an F grade for his assignment to protect our natural resources. We are ashamed that Ron Johnson sided with corporate polluters and not the needs of his constituents. Students like us all across the state will not stand for this behavior from our Senator.”
Thielen continued, “Our decision makers in Washington DC need to stand up for us and support legislation that aims to reverse the undeniable science of climate change, not take steps to roll back progress we have already made on this enormous threat to our community.”
The 2015 Scorecard includes votes cast during the first session of the 114th Congress. Both chambers seemingly left no environmental issue untouched in 2015, with assaults on the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, the Endangered Species Act, and the Antiquities Act. It includes 35 House votes, which ties the record for the most votes scored in the House for the fourth time in five years, and 25 votes in the Senate, the second highest number ever included.
Owners JJ Toppins and Mark Arft lost nine semi-trucks, a passenger vehicle and two trailers in the blaze, but Toppins said the damage could have been much worse.
The company owns trucks fueled by compressed natural gas that just missed the flames, as well as a few trailers containing highly combustible fluids.
“It could have been disastrous,” Toppins said.
Initial reports said the fire started at Fox Valley Truck, 5668 Neubert Road, which is a separate business located on the same property, Toppins said. Fox Valley Truck fixes, repairs and sells vehicles, and Valley Truck Leasing rents and leases them.
The Grand Chute Fire Department responded to the scene around 6:40 p.m. Saturday. The Appleton Fire Department was called to assist. It took firefighters about four hours to put out the blaze and secure the area.
The fire released about 900 gallons of fuel onto the grounds, which the Grand Chute Fire Department Hazardous Waste Team, the state Department of Natural Resources and Clean Harbors are cleaning up.
Despite the recovery efforts, both business are open.
Valley Truck Leasing will purchase equipment to replace what was lost. In the meantime, the company will use semi-trucks from its other four locations to meet customers’ needs, Toppins said.
“We’re still going strong. The doors are open,” Toppins said. “It’s a minor hiccup in life and we’re very fortunate and thankful for our customers.”
The cause of the fire is still under investigation and could take six weeks to determine, according to fire officials.
Toppins thanked the firefighters, police officers and everyone who has contacted the businesses since the fire.
“People reaching out to us today and yesterday is unbelievable. It makes it nice to live in a community like this,” he said.