Incident Date: 7/30/2015
Incident Type: Structure Fire
Incident Address: 1919 S. Broadway St.
Incident Time: 09:19
Incident Description: Fire in walls of building under renovation
Cause of Fire: Sparks during demolition
Estimated Dollar Loss: $200,000
Injuries: 2 firefighters transported to the hospital for heat related injuries
Additional Information: Internal demolition in a building at Georgia-Pacific’s Broadway St. Mill sparked a fire in the buildings insulation. 3-alarms were struck due to the difficulty in gaining access to the fire in the walls. It took 60 firefighters just over 4 hours to extinguish the fire. GBMFD was assisted by crews from Howard, Ashwaubenon and DePere Fire Departments.
From: Green Bay Metro Fire Department Lt. Nick Craig
Green Bay, WI July 20, 2015—The Green Bay Metro Fire Department was recently notified by Insurance Service Office (ISO) that we have been upgraded to a Class 1 Community. Green Bay is the first city in the State of Wisconsin to achieve this rating and one of only 132 in the US that are rated Class 1. There are 48,855 fire departments in the United States that are graded by ISO and this places the Green Bay Metro Fire Department in the top .3%. Classifications range from 1, representing superior property fire protection, to Class 10 which indicates that the community does not meet the ISO’s lowest criteria.
ISO evaluates a community’s fire protection services. This includes things such as; fire department staffing, fire prevention activities, training, water supply, and communications. A community’s ISO rating assists insurance companies in setting their premium rates. Generally speaking, a community with a Class 1 rating will have much lower property insurance premiums than a Class 5 community.
Incident Date: 7/18/2015
Incident Type: Structure Fire
Incident Address: 1400 Block of Elm Street
Incident Description: Fire on the exterior of a two story single family home. Grease on a natural gas grill, on a exterior deck, flared up and ignited the vinyl siding. The fire burned up under the siding and also ignited the second floor soffet. Fire was contained to the exterior of the home.
Cause of Fire: Grease on an outdoor grill
Estimated Dollar Loss: $15,000
Number of People Displaced: Occupants were able to re-occupy the building.
Governor Scott Walker Orders Flags Lowered in Honor of Marine Sergeant Carson A. Holmquist
Madison – Governor Scott Walker today ordered flags lowered in honor of Marine Sergeant A. Carson Holmquist, a Wisconsin native killed in a shooting at an operational support center operated by the U.S. Navy in Chattanooga, TN.
“Tonette and I send our thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of all of those affected by this senseless act of violence,” Governor Walker said. “We honor the memory of Sergeant Carson Holmquist, and we will never forget the courage and sacrifice he displayed serving this great country.”
Sgt. Carson A. Holmquist was an active duty Marine who served a deployment in Afghanistan. A native of Polk, Wisconsin, he entered active duty in January, 2009.
A copy of Governor Walker’s executive order relating to lowering the flags :
Incident Date: 7/16/2015
Incident Type: Cooking fire
Incident Address: Antoinette St.
Incident Time: 12:37 A.M.
Incident Description: 1 story single family home
Cause of Fire: Cooking fire that extended to wall
Origin of Fire: Kitchen in rear of home
Estimated Dollar Loss: $10,000
Number of People Displaced: 3 adults and 6 children
Green Bay Metro Fire & Green Bay Police responded to a single vehicle accident Saturday evening Lombardi & Military.
PHOTO’S FROM THE SCENE:
July 1, 2015 Green Bay, WI– The Green Bay Metro Fire Department wants everyone to have a safe and enjoyable time while celebrating Independence Day downtown. The following are keys to ensuring an enjoyable celebration:
- No fireworks are to be brought into the festival grounds.
- No drones will be permitted in, around, or over the festival grounds.
- Keep a close watch of children near the river.
- Plan ahead for the weather. Dress appropriately, stay hydrated, and use sunscreen. Alcohol will dehydrate you.
- Seek shade to cool off.
For those considering using consumer fireworks at home to celebrate:
- Consumer fireworks cause over 17,000 fires, 11,000 injuries, and $32 million in damages in the US every year.
- In 2013, sparklers were the cause of 40% of all reported injuries. They burn at over 12000 degrees F.
- 0-4 years old has the highest risk for fireworks injuries followed by children 10-14 years old.
- In the past several years be have had 2 home fires and a garage fire caused by fireworks.
The best way to keep safe this 4th of July is to leave the fireworks to the professionals. Enjoy your local fireworks show put on by your town, city, or village.